Time just goes by way to fast, or maybe I just don’t have enough 😉 The past month I’ve been busy with redesigning the PCB to fit into an enclosure. I then designed one to fit the bill. One of the blog’s readers have come in contact with me and has given me loads of insightful tips and guides, Thanks Mark, it’s much appreciated. As such I have again redesigned the PCB to be a single board design instead of multiple boards. This will help to reduce costing. I’ve also come up with an alternative to the shield design. I’ve basically taken a Mega 2560 R3 and redesigned it around my application. The reason for this is that the progam space is the limit of that of the Arduino UNO. With the ATMega2560 it is not even a quarter of the space. So there are much room for additional menus and improvements.
I’ve made use of EagleUp to export my PCB designs from Eagle into Sketchup so that I could plan the layout better as well as plan the enclosure. This is a very helpful tool, so if you want to go check it out, you can do so over here.
So here is just a breakdown of all the various designs that I’ve gone through to come to a final version that I think will do the trick. This is the first initial “Stand Alone Version” with the Atmega2560. It incorporated the same ATmega16u2 chip to convert USB to Serial communication:
Here you can see, I’ve went through various designs of where to place the mounting holes and to get an estimation of how I was going to implement the enclosure:
Then we get to the “Shield Version” of the board. As you can see, the initial design had a shield board, a button board and a GLCD board and lastly a relay board as well. From this design you can see that I’ve placed an Arduino Uno as well as an Arduino Mega. The reason for this is that the shield is compatible with both the Uno as well as the Mega. It also utilizes the same pins so no physical modifications are necessary:
Below you can see my “final” designs of my initial attempt. I thought that it looked absolutely stunning. Obviously cost would have been a major issue. I realize this after I started getting quotations for the current housing / enclosure design. From this design you will witness that the power comes if from a IEC C14 plug or a kettle plug and then it is relayed by the relays from the IEC plug to the universal power socket.
Here you will see the latest iteration of the “Shield Version” of the board. It is a single board design that will have all the needed components. The placement have also been taken into account so that no components will push onto housings of other components i.e. your not making contact with your USB connection housing or anything unwanted. You’ll notice from the placement of the pinhead connectors that the board is only slightly larger than your Arduino board.
Here is the “Stand Alone Version” as well as the “Shield Version”. The “Stand Alone Version” will receive an housing as well whereas the shield option will be a bare bones option i.e. without an housing. You will notice that I’ve designed a housing that will be able to snap together. I’ve struggled quite a bit to come up with the design, so thank you Patrick Fenner from Deferred Procrastination. He has shared a clip to utilize in snap together designs that I’ve implemented into my design. You can go to view his work over here.
Something else you will notice as well is the additional space for more add-ons (On the “Stand Alone Version”). I had additional space on the board and decided to put in an additional prototyping area.
Here’s the “Stand Alone Version” with the PCB spacers and the housing next to it. I’ve revised the housing slightly and have added a logo with the name and some snap in clips for the top cover of the enclosure.