It’s been a month again, wow. In any case, in the past month I was able to complete my firmware and it seems to be working correctly. Below is a video demoing the firmware for you on Youtube. I’ve hooked up the reflow oven shield to the toaster oven and everything seems to be running smoothly. I have also managed to make the shield compatible with the Arduino Mega, so now it is compatible with the Arduino UNO as well as the Arduino Mega. Since the overall compiled sketch size is 31.84 kB, it allows for further expansion of the program if your using a Mega. I am now in the process of redesigning the circuit boards to as to be able to build it into an enclosure. Click on the “Read more” to view a video demo of the firmware.
Here is my thermocouple in the grid of the toaste oven, just wined in between the grid wires.
and here is just a larger picture of the grid, the oven and the thermocouple.
To power the unit, I’ve made up a small lead for testing purposes. The small lead plugs into another lead and then the toaster oven plugs into the small lead. The toaster oven is switched on and turned to max. It doesn’t switch on until the relay is engaged completing the lead’s circuit, supplying power.
Here you can see that I’ve broken the live wire. The smaller blue and brown wires are both wired in together from the relay contact to the live connection in the socket. I’ve used two wires to be able to carry more current if needed. I didn’t want a thinner wire than the existing lead wire.
Here is the controller in action, with a close-up of the running screen.
Entire system in action, in test phase. Working well. I haven’t yet reflowed a board since I first need to make a board. I will do so within the next month and then post my results to the site. Once I’ve actually reflowed a board and redesigned the PCBs, i.e. have working redesigned boards, I will release the files to everyone.
Thought I’d share with you these pictures as well. Yesterday when I filmed my firmware demo, I had a lod of shaking when pressing the buttons, so I strapped the controller to some books with cable ties to have a more stable shot.
Unfortunately my wife was away with the tripod so I had to make do with something else. i.e. a bendable desk lamp which worked well. Camera also cable tied to the lamp haha.
Here is just a shot where I’m filming the elements of the oven. Please excuse the bad quality of the last three shots, it was taken with a blackberry since I didn’t have any other cameras at hand.
Hope that you have enjoyed the post. 🙂