This is my first post so in essence “Hello world”. I hope that you all are doing well and that you will enjoy my blog and my posts. I’ve bought a house for my wife and I to life in at the end of 2011 and since then until 2013 Feb I was just busy with renovations, getting everything as we wanted it.
I’ve redone the light wiring in our roof and I’ve installed a ceiling fan, alarm system, sprinkler system. I’ve built in storage cupboards, tool cupboards and a book shelf. Put in new down lights through out the entire house and filled up the holes of the previous lights.
Above all these activities I’ve also done a lot of smaller things that is related to the house. Needless to say, I’ve been extremely busy. I have still managed to be able to do one small electronics project. I’ve gotten quite inspired by the Minty Boost by Lady Yada and were hoping to do a local version in South Africa. So I’ve set out to build a few of my own.
What is important is that through this process I’ve learned quite a bit regarding electronics. The most important thing I’ve learnt is that you should never produce a few units without producing a prototype first. Through this process you will learn more about your prototype and what to expect etc. etc.
I have noticed while making my own minty boost that it is not really compatible with the new cellphones, meaning that most of the newer flagship phones want to draw at least 500mA up to 1 A if not up to 2.1 A as per my new Samsung S4. (Really enjoying this phone it is awsome)
Now the downside with the Max 756 (Voltage booster IC used in the Minty Boost) or the Max 757 that I’ve used is that it can simply not deliver enough current. The maximum that I seem to be able to get was about 365 mA which simply is not enough. So when you plug the charger into your phone you get an error that states that the current source connected to your phone can’t charge your phone. (This is only if the battery is pretty drained, it will top up the battery if it is not drained by much, but only by a little) The other downside is that AA batteries don’t last very long when your going to be delivering more then 500 mA as per the replacement of the Max 756, the LT1302.
So the solution is to use either a Li-Ion or a Li-Polymer battery. These batteries have a voltage range from 3.2 V – 4.1 ~ 4.3 V. The nominal voltage is 3.7V Which means that the voltage conversion is relatively small to convert it to 5V. Then you must select the appropriate Ah rating for the battery your going to choose.
So here is my first attempt at a minty boost:
But don’t worry. I’m working on a revised version that will be able to fully charge the new flagship phones not once but more than twice and it will burst with features and quality. But first I’m busy with an Arduino Solder reflow oven shield. I’ve been busy with this now since April 2013 and I’m almost done with programming. Obviously it will be open source once it done so watch this space (“,)